Friday, July 18, 2008

In Memory of my friend Terry


I wrote this 3 months ago - I did post it but then I took it off for some reason - I have seen Janice a couple of times since the service for Terry and talked to her more than I have seen her - but we do have a trip planned to go to Six Flags when it get cooler - say Sept. when the crafters are there. I think of Terry and Janice so often.



Terry and Janice and their dog Josie -
at the Walk to D'feet ALS
in Oct. '03in Waco, Texas -
my home town.


Terry and myself in Lubbock, Texas at the Walk to D'feet ALS in Oct. '01.

xxxxxx
My friend Terry died Saturday night, April 19, 2008 from ALS. I was called 5 minutes after Terry passed away. I had talked to Janice that morning and she told me not to come - she would need me more later so I did as I wished and stayed home - not going to the hospital.

I met Terry and Janice about 10 years ago - soon after Terry was diagnosed with ALS - Lou Gehrig's disease. We met at an ALS support group meeting in Arlington and quickly became friend. Both Terry and Janice had a great out look on life, always joking. Janice tried to raffle Terry off at several fund raiser for ALS but no one would take him. Although she never really would give him away.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
One weekend she gave Terry to me for a day - Janice and Terry picked my up and she took Terry and I to DFW airport and we flew to Lubbock for the Walk to D'feet ALS which we were on the committee for - being on the newly formed board of the ALS Association North Texas Chapter. I had friends who met us at the airport and took us to the walk site and at the end of a vary long and tiring but fun day my son, Brad, picked us up at DFW airport on our return trip. On our return trip Terry pointed out the land below -- describing the different things we could see from the air and why they were that way.

For two years Janice and Terry went to Waco with me, monthly, as we organized the Walk to D'feet ALS in Waco. If Janice could not go Terry would go with me. Such great friends. Always there when I needed them. Terry was my computer buddy - coming over to help me with my computer when needed. Making DVD's to be used at our Kick Off events for the Walks and helping me with all sorts of computer problems. Terry was the only person with ALS Marcie ever wanted to meet - which she did - several time as he helped me with my computer at my house. (well, come to think of it she may have met Dave - another friends with ALS who had been to our house). I will miss his great smile and his laugh.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last time I saw them they were eating ice cream at Costco - when I bent down to give him a hug I hit the controls of his power chair and moved his chair - he said that happens all the time and we had a good laugh from that.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
My dear friend will be missed by many people but especially his sweet wife Janice and myself. But he is smiling now and walking and his fingers are straight and always will be.
Written Monday April 20, 2008

Terry's service was today - Wed. April 23.
It was said at his service that ALS is not only Lou Gehrig's disease - it is Terry's disease , Marcie's disease, Janice's disease and Linda's disease (myself) etc... meaning ALS not only effects the person whose body ALS takes over but every member of the family - and this is so true. ALS is a monster disease with no cause, no cure and not even a treatment!

No comments: